Myth 1: Sake is highly alcoholic
Myth 2: Sake is always drunk hot
Myth 3: Sake only goes with Japanese food
Did you know that most Japanese sakés have an alcohol level of around 14-18% only, a level comparable to grape wine? Indeed, there are tens of thousands of sakés produced in Japan with very different characteristics. Different sakés are served at different temperatures (from 0°C all the way up to 55°C+) and can complement food (Japanese or not) just as well as wine. It is also an excellent drink to be enjoyed on its own. No wonder, then, that this national drink of Japan is growing in popularity.
In the workshop "Understanding Japanese Saké", a saké expert from VSF Wine Education will demystify the wonderful world of this Japanese tipple in an informal and humorous manner.
What you can expect:
- 6 x different styles of saké
- light refreshments (charcuterie, cheese, etc.)
What you will learn:
- How saké is made and how production methods differ
- The meaning behind saké quality grades and styles
- The customs and traditions associated with drinking saké
- How food pairings can complement or change your perception of a saké’s flavour
- The proper way to taste saké and how to choose bottles that best suit your taste
Level: Beginner (no prior knowledge is required)
Style: Guided Saké Tasting
Good for: Saké Curious, Foodies
*Don't go home empty-handed! You can purchase your newly found favourite saké at discounted prices (10% off) during the event. Whether you are a saké enthusiast or an absolute beginner, this is a great chance for you to taste different styles of saké hailing from Japan in one go!
VSF Wine Education is the first and only wine school in London dedicated to the Chinese and Japanese communities. Accredited by the Wine & Spirits Education Trust (WSET) as well as the Sake Sommelier Association (SSA), the school has been actively cultivating wine, spirits and saké appreciation and enjoyment in London.
Apart from running training courses, VSF Shop (https://www.vsf.wine/vsf-shop) sells a wide range of sakés, from the highly sought-after Dassai (獺祭) and Tatenokawa (楯野川) to artisanal labels such as Konishi (小西酒造), Aizu Homare (会津 ほまれ) and Hayashi Honten (林本店).
//That’s saké, the mysterious Japanese elixir. Take the mystery out of the equation with a truly enlightening evening at VSF Wine Education [...] You’ll learn the four ingredients that make up traditional sake, how to distinguish premium sake from just-plain-good sake, and which ones to serve warm and to serve cold. Unlike your usual wine-tasting, you’ll leave smarter than when you arrived [... The] sake sommelier will walk you through all the variations of her passion project with enthusiasm and humour.// - April 2019 Hype Reviews
//I had a superb time learning about Sake and Sake production methods. The hosts were excellent, and their obvious enthusiasm encouraged all attendees to participate, regardless of experience. I will look out for future evenings.// September 2019, Philip P., an event participant
At the door: £45 / person
Early bird tickets (limited quantities): £30 / person
The event "Understanding Japanese Saké lasts 1.5 hours, with max. 6 persons per session. For enquiries, please email us at email@example.com. Visitors are encouraged to take the Overground (Rotherhithe Station) or Underground (Canada Water Station) to arrive at the venue. Anyone under the age of 18 years old will not be permitted entry.
Early Bird Ticket
Please arrive at 18:50 for a sharp start at 19:00
|19:00 - 20:30||£30.00|
VSF Wine Education, Unit 11A, City Business Centre, Lower Road, London, SE162XB
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.